Followers

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Request

Over the years I’ve pondered the actions of those who are inquired by others for items during a time of need. As I rode the train from class I had to chuckle at a long since incident.

During a hospitalization of a long time consociate asked for particular emollient cream for the chafing of their body. Since I use this same product and keep ample supply at home, which is in walking distance, I said I would bring them a bottle. Then the person’s relative stated, “I will get it.” At this point I let it alone.

While the hospitalized person was in surgery I tagged along for lunch and as we returned to the hospital the relative stopped at a store on the way back to fulfill the patient’s request. Upon our return to the hospital we had to wait several hours past the initial expected time frame of the completed operation.

Once the patient was alert and returned to their room, the relative made a comment “I didn’t know that it was soooo expensive”, as they gave the item to the patient/parent. I was really floored at that moment when the person made this statement but brushed it off.


As I rode the train this fall day, some four-year removed from the incident, I had a sense of wonderment and chuckled. The wonder is, my thought about when someone requests something particularly when it during a time when they are incapacitated; keep negative comments to one’s self. Secondly, don’t brush off open invitations and then complain when the request is outside what you think ‘cost too much’. Lastly, cost too much comes from the person who wear’s the red bottomed designer shoes….plz! Now that is where I get my chuckle…hummmm…LOL…no ROFL…but REALLY I’m sad kind of blue at the memory. Oh, but the surgery was a success…for this I am pleased!

No comments: